Sir Exar Kun

...and Portnoy's back!

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:22 am

Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: ...and Portnoy's back!

Post by LarryD » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:05 pm

Same here - life sure has a sick sense of humor ........ Im' glad he is back, I just don't know how to feel about it ...... I guess I should embrace it like everyone else, but it has been such a long time, I'm still getting my head around it ........

Sir Exar Kun

Post by Sir Exar Kun » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:27 pm

I HOPE that it brings more "life" back to DT live shows..... Rather than playing the same songs night after night, and playing them note for note to the studio, let's make the live experience UNIQUE and interesting again.

I also HOPE that he keeps working with Neal as much as he has, and doesn't purely focus on DT. I hate to lose the NMB aspect, or even slow it down, as I have been more into their recent output than DT.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Post by LarryD » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:23 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:27 pm
I HOPE that it brings more "life" back to DT live shows..... Rather than playing the same songs night after night, and playing them note for note to the studio, let's make the live experience UNIQUE and interesting again.

I also HOPE that he keeps working with Neal as much as he has, and doesn't purely focus on DT. I hate to lose the NMB aspect, or even slow it down, as I have been more into their recent output than DT.
****Same here - especially the NM part. But from what I have read, his role with NM has been ended at least for some time come, according to Portnoy, leading me to think that he knew the DT thing was about to happen. And like you, I was more into NM than I was DT, which I would have never expected from me.......

TommyBoy

Post by TommyBoy » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:46 pm

It still doesn't change the fact that Labrie cannot sing live anymore.

prog_powermetal99

Post by prog_powermetal99 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:30 pm

TommyBoy wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:46 pm
It still doesn't change the fact that Labrie cannot sing live anymore.
Yea I haven't been able to stomach Labrie's voice since scenes from a memory........Then again DT has pretty much has bored me to death the last 15 to 20 years........I think I'm just not into prog anymore unless it's SUPER SUPER HEAVY.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:49 am

Honestly not sure what to think of this one ... while I love Portnoy and do believe DT is where he belongs, it also seems weird throwing away the last decade with Mangini. If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mangini one day (soon?) putting out a statement that he felt blindsided in all of this. Either way, it'll be interesting to see if they can create something good out of this.

As far as the LaBrie debate go ... oh well ... in the words of Taylor Swift "Haters Gonna Hate".
Claus Jensen

EmptyThoughts

Post by EmptyThoughts » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:25 pm

I, for one am excited. DT music over the past decade with Mangini had become too song oriented for my liking (other than Breaking All Illusions). I don't know if they have it in them, but I'd definitely like to hear the spontaneity of I & W, and some renewed passion.

In all, great news for the Prog community, and those that are still into this style of music like myself :D

TommyBoy

Post by TommyBoy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:36 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:49 am
Honestly not sure what to think of this one ... while I love Portnoy and do believe DT is where he belongs, it also seems weird throwing away the last decade with Mangini. If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mangini one day (soon?) putting out a statement that he felt blindsided in all of this. Either way, it'll be interesting to see if they can create something good out of this.

As far as the LaBrie debate go ... oh well ... in the words of Taylor Swift "Haters Gonna Hate".
As far as my comment, its not hating, I love Labrie's voice, I think his decline impacts the live shows horribly and I don't understand how the band doesn't address it. As far as Mangini getting the boot he can't be happy no matter how stoic he's being. Besides the music aspect he just lost a paycheck.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:16 pm

TommyBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:36 pm
introclaus wrote:
As far as my comment, its not hating, I love Labrie's voice, I think his decline impacts the live shows horribly and I don't understand how the band doesn't address it.
I saw them when they did the whole "Scenes from a Memory Tour" a few years ago, and he sounded pretty great at the show I went to. I don't know if you've gone to any of their recent shows or you're judging based on YouTube clips? Either way, I'm not trying to be a DT/LaBrie apologist, just stating that when I saw them live a couple of years ago, I had no issues.
Claus Jensen

TommyBoy

Post by TommyBoy » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:39 pm

introclaus wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:16 pm
TommyBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:36 pm
introclaus wrote:
As far as my comment, its not hating, I love Labrie's voice, I think his decline impacts the live shows horribly and I don't understand how the band doesn't address it.
I saw them when they did the whole "Scenes from a Memory Tour" a few years ago, and he sounded pretty great at the show I went to. I don't know if you've gone to any of their recent shows or you're judging based on YouTube clips? Either way, I'm not trying to be a DT/LaBrie apologist, just stating that when I saw them live a couple of years ago, I had no issues.
He didn't sound bad on the entire DoT tour you're referring to but that was 4 years ago . I saw them twice on this past tour and it broke my heart to see him struggle with the older material. I know the food poisoning incident which ruptured his vocal chords is to blame and its unfortunate but extensive touring is hurting him at this stage of the game sadly.

introclaus

Post by introclaus » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:07 pm

TommyBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:39 pm
He didn't sound bad on the entire DoT tour you're referring to but that was 4 years ago.
Where the heck did the time go?
TommyBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:39 pm
I saw them twice on this past tour and it broke my heart to see him struggle with the older material. I know the food poisoning incident which ruptured his vocal chords is to blame and its unfortunate but extensive touring is hurting him at this stage of the game sadly.
Ugh, that's sad to hear. I'll probably hit up their next tour, just for nostalgia's sake, but man ... hopefully he'll get that fixed before then.
Claus Jensen

MeTuLHeD

Post by MeTuLHeD » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:14 am

Yep. Just like that.

Mike who?